Sunday, November 26, 2017

NaBloPoMo Day 24 - Your best riding friend

You know, it's funny... I don't really know that I have one.

I had a best friend in middle/high school that I took lessons with.  We were great friends outside of riding, but I found I had... questions... when it came to riding.  There were a lot of things she said that didn't line up with what she knew or did.  It just didn't add up.  And as we moved on into high school, she got into band and I didn't - and she got into some freaking crazy drama and I didn't - and we've grown very much apart these days.

Most of the intervening years were spent around a lot of teenagers.  Lots and lots of teenagers.  Which, I mean, I'm not a small-child-friendly human (ugh, so sticky and annoying, sorry mothers), but I can handle teenagers.  They just aren't typically my friends.

My BOs right now are the closest friends I've had in the horse business, really, and when we do get on and ride, we have a great time.  But I'm also conscious that they're best friends and I'm always going to be a bit of a third wheel, no matter how much fun we have.

I realize this sounds kind of... well... isolated and lonely?  It actually doesn't bother me.  I prefer to have someone around when I'm on horseback (and honestly, sometimes when I'm handling the horses at all), but "around" can be "watching on the barn cameras" and I'm fine.  I'm a little bit of an introvert.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment