Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Color genetics: Hey, look, more dominant white!

I've been keeping an eye out for more examples (and more photos!) on some of the newer dominant white patterns, and there were some new papers released this year as well, so let's talk about updates to the old ones and some new ones!

The new:

White-21 has so far been found only in Icelandics - and, specifically, only in a stallion named Ellert frá Baldurshaga.  Again, similar to things like W1 and W10, we have a very roany type, with vees of color coming down from the back.  It looks like most of the pictures of him were from news articles, so for some lovely shots, check out here and here.

White-22 turned out to be the source of the white in Airdrie Apache, who I mentioned briefly in my last post on dominant white.  He's currently credited as the founder, but speculation remains that it's his mother, Not Quite White, that might be the true source.
Photo from his owner's site here.
White-23 was an Arabian horse born in 1989 that was mostly white.  It sounds like the horse was Australian and the line may have died out, but the name appears to have been Boomori Simply Stunning. He had two foals that lived who were also white; one, Meadowview Ivory Dream, appears to have died at 3-4 years old.  The other, named Just a Dream, wasn't the easiest thing in the world to Google, so I'm going to leave it at "this line may have died out."  (Seriously, even 'Just a Dream Arabian' wasn't enough to get me anywhere useful!)

White-24 is a Trottatore Italiano mare named Via Lattea.  She's all white, and it sounds like she'll be crossed to an all-white pacer named White Bliss, if this article is anything to go by.  (I'm so curious about the genetic results of that foal.  White Bliss's white, so far as I can tell via Google, hasn't been identified yet...)

White-25 is back to Thoroughbreds - this time in Australia, not the US.  The line seems to have originated from a mare named Laughyoumay.
From Practical Animal Genetics's site
It's another maxed-out white pattern, diluting color where it doesn't take it all away; her foals so far have been white or almost all white.

White-26 is another Australian Thoroughbred line, this one originating in a mare named Marbrowell.
From Practical Animal Genetics's site.
While the mare herself is relatively dark, at least one of her foals has shown up almost full white; as with W25, the color that remains is diluted by white.

White-27 is yet another Australian Thoroughbred line originating from a mare - this time, a mare named Milady Fair, foaled in 1960.  She had an all-white daughter, through whom her line continues.
Colourful Gambler, a 1986 descendant of Milady Fair (from Practical Animal Genetics's site)
This particular pattern has produced both white foals and foals who are more white than not, all in this kind of speckley pattern, as opposed to the roaning of W25 and W26.

The old:
Let's talk about a few of the patterns I discussed before.

I finally found something identifying White-8 as coming from Pokkadis vom Rosenhof.  I knew it was an Icelandic, but I think the way the name is spelled natively has a character that just does not translate cleanly to an English/Latin alphabet.  So one place had Thokkadis, one place had the actual character (which looks a little like a p?), and finally it looks like the translation has settled on Pokkadis.
Screenshot of this page.

White-13 is now telling tales about where Quarter Horses have been. lol

In addition to the QH/Paso Fino cross originally identified, it's shown up in a Friesian cross - Friesian/American White, it looks like?  So likely that QH blood is on the American White side, unless there's something I didn't know about American Friesians.

It's also now shown up in a family of Australian miniatures.  On that one... well, if the folks commenting on this on FB are actually in the know, it sounds like that's less "what's hidden in the family tree" and more "a specific breeder basically just grabbed anything under a certain height and claimed it was part of the breed, so god knows where this really came from."  The words "money laundering and drug charges" were included.  Gotta love the shit people got away with (or didn't, as the case may be) in the 1970s...

White-16 may have been nailed down as well; I'm seeing mention of a horse named Celine, specifically, rather than that vague screenshot - and specifically the Celine that's a daughter of the stallion Relevant and a granddaughter of the stallion Cordeur.  I'm mostly hitting those references on German sites, though, and I can't figure if they're saying the color came from one of those two stallions or whether they're just including the sire and damsire to make it clear which mare is under discussion.

It looks like one of the White-17 Japanese Draft horses was named Hakubahime at the time of testing and may have been renamed to Hakuba Beauty, although I'm working off an article title linked off Wikipedia for that.

And lastly... a cool link!
This site seems to be keeping a running list of the various dominant white/white spotting genes and their presumed horses of origin.  Pretty fun list to use to google horse names and find photos!  :)

2 comments:

  1. this stuff is so fascinating.... there was another blogger who used to write often about color genetics (she actually wrote a book or two about it) but she hasn't updated in forever... http://equinetapestry.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I have one of her books - the older one, because it talked about drafts and the new one had JUST come out when I got it. :) Last I saw anything from her, she was talking about the next book, but I've never seen anything else on it, not even on FB.

      Delete